Basic Training, Advanced Fire Fighting and other STCW Renewal Requirements
BT and Advanced FF Renewal Requirements (NVICs 02-14, 08-14 and 09-14) (STCW VI/1 and VI/3)
For MMC RENEWAL – In order to renew your STCW Basic Training and Advanced Fire Fighting Endorsements you must have:
- 360 days sea service. Any vessel that is required to hold regular fire and emergency and abandon ship drills.
- Basic Training Revalidation. (1 day course, dated within 5 years of renewal)
- Advanced Fire Fighting Revalidation. (1 day course, dated within 5 years of renewal)
If you meet the above requirements, the USCG will renew all STCW endorsements (VI/1 - BT; VI/3 - AFF; VI/2 - PSC)
NOTE: Those on Great lakes and Reduced Operating Status (ROS) vessels, That regularly hold fire and emergency and abandon ship drills, receive full sea service credit towards STCW. Please click here for detailed information on ROS service and credit.
Survival Craft and Fast Rescue Boat STCW 2010 Renewal Requirements (NVICs 02-14, 04-14 and 05-14) (STCW VI/2)
If you meet the ongoing Basic Training Revalidation Renewal requirements noted above the USCG will automatically renew these endorsements with no additional training.
Those WITHOUT 360 days sea service (as noted above) must complete the following REFRESHER training:
- Basic Training Refresher (3 days)
- Advancced Fire Fighting Refresher (1½ days)
- Proficiency in Survival Craft (PSC) Refresher (1 day)
Note: Those with a specific FRB endorsement would be required to complete the fast rescue boat course to retain this endorsement.
Tankerman Renewal STCW 2010 Requirements (NVIC 22-14) (STCW V/1)(46 CFR Part 13)
In order to renew a Tankerman PIC endorsement the individual must:
- Submit 90 days of service during the preceding 5 years onboard a tank vessel performing duties associated with the endorsement held, AND
- Two transfers of liquid cargo in bulk of the type for which the endorsement is valid within the last 5 years
- An approved tankerman course completed within 5 years.
Those who have an existing USCG/STCW Tankerman endorsement but have not served on a tanker in the past 5 years to obtain the 90 days sea serviceAND 2 cargo transfers required for renewal, can take a tankerman course (appropriate to the endorsement) within 5 years and have that endorsement renewed. STAR's 1 week and 2 week Tankerman PIC courses meet this requirement.
USCG NMC Renewal Checklists
Click here for STAR Center's full schedule, including required STCW 2010 Gap Closing course dates
for the next 8 months.
AMO Members click here to register.
Non-AMO (commercial) students click here to apply.