Below is a table showing the upcoming class dates for our USCG approved, STCW compliant Officer In Charge of an Engineering Watch (OICEW) training courses IAW 46 CFR 11.329. Please note there are requirements for additional task assessment signoffs required per NVIC 17-14 which are not included in these required courses (see attached list of assessment requirements and breakdown). These additional task assessments may be completed onboard by a USCG qualified assessor or in other additional STAR courses as noted.
Our OICEW classes are primarily scheduled to meet the needs of our 2-year Third Engineer Apprentice program, and some classes you may require are scheduled over their different shore phases, making the schedule for you appear disjointed. Where possible, we are working to streamline them into consecutive groups, but in the meantime, these are the classes you need.
The following classes are broken into sections and MUST be completed in order to receive full USCG credit: Auxiliary Machinery (AUX) 1, 2 and 3, Electrical Machinery and Basic Electronics (EMBE) 1, 2 and 3, Control Systems/Instrumentation 1 & 2. Otherwise courses can be taken in any order that meets your schedule and our availability.
Our Student Services team will be pleased to work with you to insure that you are kept fully informed of availability. They can be reached at (954) 920 3222 Ext. 201 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
"OICEW Regulatory 46 CFR 11.329 Required Training and Assessments (motor endorsement only)
Required Training Courses - STAR includes the following task assessments from NVIC 17-14 in the required class noted.
- Engine resource management (ERM) (STRCTR-188)- 1 week- Tasks: 1.4, 15.1.A, 16.1.A, 16.2.A, 16.3.A 16.4.A
- Engineering terminology and shipboard operations (STRCTR-825)- 2 weeks- Tasks: no tasks
- Auxiliary machinery (STRCTR-862)- 5 weeks total- Aux 1 (1wk), Aux 2 (2wks), Aux 3 (2 wks) Tasks: 4.1.A, 4.1.A, 4.1.A
- Motor plants (STRCTR-734)- 4 weeks- Tasks: 4.2.C, 4.3.A, 4.3.C, 4.3.F, 4.3.I, 4.3.M, 4.3.N, 4.3.O, 4.3.P, 4.3.Q, 4.3.R, 4.3.S, 5.1.A, 5.2.A, 5.2.B, 5.2.C, 5.2.D, 5.2.E, 5.3.A, 6.1.B, 6.1.D, 7.5.B, 8.3.A, 10.1.A, 10.1.B
- Electrical machinery and basic electronics (STRCTR-861)- 4 weeks total- EMBE 1 (1wk), EMBE 2 (1wk), EMBE 3 (3wks) Tasks: 6.1.A, 6.1.B, 6.1.C, 6.1.D, 6.2.A, 7.1.A, 7.2.A, 7.2.B, 7.3.A, 7.4.A
- Control systems (STRCTR-230)- 4 weeks total- Controls 1 (2 wks), Controls 2 (2wks) Tasks: 6.3.A, 6.1.E, 7.5.A, 7.5.B, 7.5.C
- Medical First-Aid Provider (STRCTR-310)- 1 week (Task 14.1.A)
- Basic/Advanced Fire Fighting Course within 5 years date (STRCTR-125)- 1 week- Task: 12.1.A
- Proficiency in Survival Craft (Cannot be PSC Limited) (STRCTR-372)- 1 week- Task: 13.1.A
- Valid Basic Training (if not previously taken) (STRCTR-65)- 1 week- Task: 17.1.A)
Additional OICEW NVIC 17-14 Required Task Assessments (not included in the above training courses) MOTOR Only: The listed tasks below can be completed in the course noted or can be completed onboard by a USCG Qualified Assessor.
- Machine Shop (STRCTR-848)- 2 weeks- Task: 8.1.A.
- Welding (STRCTR-551)- 2 weeks- Tasks: 8.1.B, 8.1.C.
- Maintenance and Repair (STRCTR-835)- 4 weeks – Tasks: 8.2.A, 8.2.B, 8.2.C, 8.2.D, 9.1.A, 9.1.B, 9.1.C.
- Naval Arch/Damage Control (STRCTR-864)- 1 week- Tasks: 11.1.A, 11.2.A, 11.3.A, 11.4.A.
- Refrigeration (STRCTR-426)– 1 week- Tasks: 4.3.T, 4.3.U, 4.3.V.
- Watchkeeping (STRCTR-723)-2 weeks- Tasks: 1.1.A, 1.1.B, 1.1.E, 1.1.F, 1.2.A, 1.3.A, 1.3.B, 1.3.C, 1.3.D, 3.1.A, 4.2.A, 4.3.R, 4.3.S, 7.5.A.