Renewing Medical Certificates
The following is a simplified guide to renewing your USCG Medical Certificate. This is not meant to be all-inclusive. Additional information regarding medical certificates can be found at the USCG National Maritime Center website at:
The Application for Merchant Mariner Medical Certificate (CG-719K) is required for Officers and Mariners with a qualified rating. The examination and form must be completed within 12 months of application date (36 months if applying for Raise of Grade). The medical provider completing the required examination must be a physician, physician assistant, or nurse practitioner who is licensed in the U.S. or a U.S. territory. Use the following steps to apply.
- Step 1 - Read the instruction guide for the CG-719K. http://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/NMC/pdfs/forms/cg719k_instruction_guide.pdf?ver=2017-06-12-101520-973
- Step 2 - Complete the Application for Merchant Mariner Medical Certificate (CG-719K). http://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/NMC/pdfs/forms/CG_719K.pdf?ver=2017-06-12-101138-253
- Step 3 - Review the Common Errors on the CG-719K Form http://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/NMC/pdfs/forms/cg719k_ke_common_errors.pdf
- Step 4 - Send your application and supporting documentation to a local Regional Exam Center.
Note: Any additional paperwork required for a waiver should also be included. If you have no conditions than just the 719K is required.
- Applications can be submitted via email, fax, mail or in person.
- If submitting by Email:
- The form and any additional paperwork must be scanned at a resolution not exceeding 300 dpi, saved in PDF format, and not exceeding 8 megabytes (MB) in size. If e-mail size (including attachments) exceeds 8 MB, send documents in multiple e-mails.
- Select your desired REC from the list on the left hand side of the REC page at the NMC website: http://www.dco.uscg.mil/Our-Organization/Assistant-Commandant-for-Prevention-Policy-CG-5P/National-Maritime-Center-NMC/regional_exam_centers/ and then select the specific REC to obtain their email address and link.
- The subject line of your e-mail must be: (Last name, first name, middle initial, mariner reference #). Example: (Mariner, Johnny, L, #####).
- Ensure all attachments are included, then SEND.
Harmonizing MMC and Medical Certificate dates for those with NO STCW ENDORSEMENTS (updated 3/9/18)
For those with an credential with ONLY NATIONAL ENDORSEMTNS and NO STCW ENDORSEMENTS (i.e. inland and Great Lakes only), USCG Policy Letter 01-18 provides specific guidance on how to harmonize the dates on your MMC and you Medical Certificates. Click here for Pol Ltr 01-18. https://go.usa.gov/xnuzh